THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, June 02, 2005

What a difference a year makes...

I'm volunteering for the Special Olympics today. The Michigan Special Olympics are held on the CMU campus every June. I wanted to work at it last year, but wasn't able to. I'm only able to help in the evenings, so I'm working both the Opening Ceremonies and the Closing Ceremonies/Dance. I'm thinking about bringing Sarah with me, only to help Jeff out, since he's having to come home early from work in order for me to go. We thought we'd be able to get a sitter, but no such luck.
It's funny, I think back to before we knew Sarah had Down syndrome, and I wonder if I'd ever have volunteered for the Special Olympics, or done anything pertaining to people with special needs, if we didn't have Sarah. And the sad part is, I probably wouldn't. Not because I don't care about people with special needs, but because it didn't relate to me first-hand.
I often think about how my priorities have changed since having Sarah. It's funny how something that can seem so terrible to most people, can seem like a blessing to others. I still cringe at the fact that 80-90% of people who find out prenately that their baby has Down syndrome terminate. I could NOT imagine our life without Sarah. She & Emma are the joys of my life. I know they are going to be the best of friends as they grow up. Sarah's going to change so many misconceptions and brighten so many people's lives. I'll try to take some pictures while I'm there and post them tomorrow or Saturday.

No comments: