Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Fun times at the ER

Jeff had to take me to the ER yesterday morning. I'd been having severe abdominal pain, plus vomiting and diarrhea since Monday night. After 3:30am, neither of us got any sleep. I was in too much pain and the kids kept waking up. I spent most of the time between 3:30 and 6:30 pacing, trying to get into a comfortable position, checking my symptoms on the internet (not a good thing to do when you're in pain and irrational) and running to the bathroom. Finally at 6:30am I told Jeff we needed to go to the hospital. We got there around 7am and didn't get into a room until around 8am. Jeff & the girls couldn't come back with me, so they had to wait in the waiting room. I tried to get comfortable on the tiny bed, but it really wasn't working. Of course, every 5 minutes, someone had to come in and ask me the same questions someone else had asked about 5 minutes before. I told them, whatever's wrong with me, just give me something for the pain. The vomiting and other stuff I can handle, but the pain is almost as bad as labor.
After about 2 hours, they came in and told me that I had gastritis or gastroenteritis (I think they're the same thing). They gave me an IV to give me some fluids and something for the nausea (I told them again, the nausea I can handle, but the pain I can't). They said it would help with the pain, too, but I don't think it did. So, after 4 1/2 hours, I was allowed to go home. Poor Jeff had to stay in the waiting room that whole time with 2 hungry kids. They gave me a Rx and we went home. I pretty much slept the rest of the day. I was exhausted and in pain. Jeff went to go get my Rx and only after I had taken it did I read that it's considered a barbituate and can go into breastmilk. I had told them a few times that I was still nursing, but do doctors ever listen?? So, I decided not to take it anymore. I found some Tylenol 3 from when I had Sarah that I'm taking now. It seems to be working. I'm still in pain, but not nearly as bad as it was. We all got a good night's sleep last night, which helped a lot. It also helped that Sarah slept from about 9pm to 7am. I wasn't allowed to eat any solids for the first 24 hours, and even now I'm supposed to be eating bland things, as to not upset my stomach. So, it's Carnation Instant Breakfast for me for awhile.
Time for me to go make the kiddos lunch!!

No comments: