THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 15, 2004

Winter wonderland?

Ok, I think Winter finally decided it was time to initiate the Wilsons. All this minor snow & cold has been a preliminary to yesterday. All told, the city of Mount Pleasant received 10 inches of snow. Now I know there are places that get a lot more at once, but we don't live there. We live here, and right now, here sucks. On our street, the snow was piled so high that when I was driving from our driveway to the main street, snow was hitting our front bumper & flying up into my windshield, like we were the snow plow. The snow would melt as it hit our windshield & then freeze to our wipers, making having complete vision out of the windshield impossible. Every time I stopped the car, whether it was to pick up Jeff, go to physical therapy or go home, I had to scrape the ice off the wiper blades. I know before I said I didn't mind the snow, I only minded the freezing temps. I am now revising that statement. I don't mind snow, as long as it doesn't interfere with what I need to do, and I don't mind the cold temps, but I DO mind when they are together, cause that's just not fair.
Even people at Jeff's job are getting in on the fun. Jeff's boss, Shaun, called him yesterday, and politely asked him the loaded question, So, how are you liking the weather? Jeff politely replied, This was NOT in the job description. But our neighbors & Jeff's co-workers are genuinely concerned about how we're taking this kind of weather. Another guy at work, Tony, even offered to come & snow-blow our driveway. But Jeff had already beaten him to it, shoveling his heart out after work. So now I can drive in & out of our garage without slipping & sliding all over the place.
But I guess we can't complain too much about the weather. I mean, we ARE in Michigan, what did we expect? But Emma's loving the snow, she plows through it every chance she gets. Her preschool is having a sled day next Tuesday, so we're going to have to go out & get her a sled and some snow pants, so she doesn't freeze her little butt off. And maybe some boots, too. And thicker gloves. Can't send my kid out sledding looking like I'm neglecting her, can I? I can see the reactions from her teachers now, You sent your kid out sledding in nothing but jeans & tennis shoes? I guess I can't let my only excuse be, Sorry, never done the whole "living in snow" thing before. I don't think that would fly.

No comments: