THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 20, 2004

If it's sunny outside, shouldn't that mean it's warm?

Mother nature loves to play tricks on you in the winter time. It was absolutely gorgeous outside today. I think, I even heard birds chirping. Of course when I opened my garage this morning, I was slapped in the face with the reality that, although it's sunny outside, it doesn't mean it's anywhere near what normal people would consider warm. And now that I think about it, it probably wasn't birds chirping that I heard, it was most likely the squirrels in our trees chattering their buck teeth because of the temperature.
Poor Emma, she had been looking forward to this day. She had been looking forward to going sledding with her preschool class. We even made a last minute trip out to Target last night to look for snow pants & boots. I finally found some (I'm convinced they're the last pair of snow pants that aren't attached to a jacket in the whole town) and thankfully, they were her size. We also found some cute snow boots, that hopefully will still fit her next winter, but I doubt it. She seems to be sprouting once spring arrives (last year she went from a shoe size 9 to a 10 1/2 in 3 months). So we were all set for some sledding fun today. But, unfortunately, the school has a policy that they can't allow the students to go outside when the temperature is below 20 degrees (I believe the high today got up to about 15). But, to make up for it, Emma was able to use her brand new gear after being picked up from school, in our front yard, while I vainly tried to scrape the ice off the driveway with a shovel. I gave up after about 30 minutes, after determining that Emma's greatest joy apparently comes out of throwing snow at me & digging in it like a puppy, spraying it onto the nice clean driveway. So we quit after not too long.
Jeff's already had quite an interesting trip to Boston. His flight was fine, except for some extraordinary turbulence during the landing into Boston. They arrived at their hotel after taking a cab & were looking forward to their first day of training today. Instead, it was a cell phone-forgetting, cab driver calling, email tagging day. To make a long story short, Jeff accidently left his cell phone in the cab this morning on his way to training, thought he had forgot it in the hotel & the cabbie apparently decided to call the most random people on his cell phonebook. He called poor Kimberly, who was awakened by this cabbie at 6am Pacific time, and I think he called our home number, but the message was unintelligible. He also called a friend of Jeff's in Winsconsin, of all places, who called me & left a very amused message on my machine,"Uh, dude, some cabbie in Boston says he has your cell phone, I think you better call it & find out what's going on." All of my calls to the cell phone went unanswered, I'm not sure if he knew how to answer it. So the emailing began, and Jeff & I played email tag for a few hours, until he called me to let me know that yes, he knew where the cell phone was, but no, he couldn't get to it until tomorrow. All the while I'm fielding phone calls from people who are wondering what's going on. It's a national crisis, Jeff doesn't have his cell phone, we might not be able to get in touch with him right this very minute. I actually found the whole scenario quite amusing, but that may just be me. So, if the first day is any indication of how this trip will continue, it should be quite interesting.
Emma starts gymnastics tomorrow night. I went this morning & officially signed her up. She seems very excited about it. It's actually taught by the members of the CMU gymnastics team, so it should be fun. I can't wait to go & take pictures of tons of little girls running around & jumping. I'm sure it'll be a bombardment of "Mommy, mommy, look at meeee!" This reminds me of stories that my mom & aunt tell me about when I was Emma's age. "Look mommy I running, look mommy I jumping!" I think they don't have to heart to tell me the next part, "Look mommy I falling down, look mommy I running into furniture!" Shirley Temple, I wasn't. I think, unfortunately, Emma has inherited my lack of grace. But maybe if we get her started early enough, some of it will rub off on her from the other kids. Or maybe they've invented some sport that ENCOURAGES lack of grace. Actually, I think they have a TV show that personifies that, it's on MTV, and it's called "Jackass". Of course, it also encourages stupid, idiotic behavior that a warning label at the beginning of the show doesn't seem to be able to quell. But that's a whole other tangent that I don't want to get into. Just add that to the list of shows that my very smart husband seems to like, that I can't stand.

No comments: