Friday, July 02, 2004

Being worried pays off

So, I call every ENT in the phone book yesterday morning, trying to get Emma an appointment for her lump thing. Most of the people tell me that they don't have any available openings for at least a month. I finally get one for next Tuesday, but I knew I needed to find something sooner. Emma's chin was starting to get pinkish & warm, and the PA had said that those were both signs of an infection. So, I'm starting to freak out. I get another appointment for Friday morning, but I ended up calling them back & asking them if I thought I should just take her to the ER because I thought she was getting an infection, or could it wait until my appointment. They ended up squeezing her in, and she was able to see the ENT. He didn't confirm that it was the thryoglossal duct cyst that the PA had thought it was, and instead called it a "midline neck mass" which doesn't sound much better. He said it could be any number of things, but that most likely it was the cyst. But he said in order to confirm that, he'd have to do a head CT, and all sorts of tests, along with a biopsy. Major stuff. Plus he said that all the biopsy would show now is infected cells, so we would have to wait until the infection was gone anyways. So, Emma's on antibiotics for 10 days, and we'll have to do the medical stuff when we get back home. I'm kinda hoping it will shrink & go away for right now, but on the other hand, if it does, there won't be anything to take samples of, and we'd have to wait for it to show up again. I'm hoping they'll do the biopsy & CT scan at the same time, because I know they're going to have to put her out for those. They put her out last year when she got a CT scan to try & find out what was causing her Bell's palsy. Not a fun prospect but at least I'll have Jeff around for support this time.

No comments: