THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 12, 2006

IEP's, and other acronyms

I have so many acronyms running around in my head every day, you'd think I was trying to communicate in some abbreviated form of English. IEP, PT, OT, ST, DT, DS, ugh. It just doesn't end.
Sarah had her annual IEP today. That's basically where all her therapists get together, discuss with me how she did this year, whether or not she's met her goals that they set last year, and determine if she still qualifies for services. They also tend to throw out age ranges that describe, to what extent, her delays are. For example, her Infant Teacher (the DT in the list above) said her cognitive skills were roughly in the 12-15 month range. That's actually not that bad, but it's still such a solid number, on paper, in triplicate. That goes in her permanent record. At 2 years of age, Sarah has the cognitive abilities of a 1 year old. It's hard for me to grasp this, as I just see her as Sarah, not a number or a description. But, for all the pencil pushers in the Special Ed sector, they need these numbers in order to determine who qualifies for what services.
The good thing is that she's finally going to get Speech Therapy. I've been pushing for this for almost a year. But, was told that Early On in this area didn't offer ST until age 2. I probably could have gone through a private ST, but I don't know if it would have been covered by insurance. She, of course, still qualifies for all her services, and will receive summer services from the Infant Teacher & PT. So, next fall, she'll have 4 therapists working with her. In addition to going to playgroup once a week. We're also planning on her going to preschool (!) next January. There are a couple different classrooms she could go to, but I'm going to push for the one at CMU. They have full time ST, PT, & OT, plus students who are working on getting their degrees in these areas. It's 5 days a week, 2 1/2 hours a day. I'm sure it'll be an adjustment, not just for her :( , but it'll definitely be something to look forward to.

No comments: