Sunday, April 11, 2004

Easter fun

Emma had her first big easter egg hunt yesterday at her friend Morgan's house. Her mom decided yesterday would be the best time, since it looked like it was supposed to rain/snow today. Emma had a great time. Since this was the first time she's ever done this before, she had a little trouble getting started, and basically just followed Morgan around the yard. There were a few other kids there, Morgan's brother Bobbie, and Zoe & Zack, the kids of some colleagues of Morgan's mom. They all had fun running around the yard, looking for eggs. We did have to help them find a few that were hidden, but overall they found them all on their own. Or so we thought. About 30 minutes after they stopped searching, the dog in the yard behind theirs was scratching & digging at the cyclone fence that separates the yards. Sue, Morgan's mom, went over to see what he was digging at. He had found an egg that no one had remembered, hidden under a pile of leaves. It was too funny. The poor dog was just looking at her like, I found it, give it to me, don't I deserve it? But it had candy in it, so no such luck for the poor guy.
After searching for the eggs, the kids decided they wanted to play on the swing set, while the adults stood around in the backyard talking. It was nice. It was a little chilly, but I don't think the kids noticed, since they were running around. After a little while, we all went back inside. We didn't stay much longer after that, but Sue offered to have Emma stick around so she could decorate real eggs with Morgan. That sounded fine with us, so we went home. Sue brought her back over about an hour later. And she wasn't screaming her head off, like she was the LAST time she left Morgan's house. But we had discussed that with her prior to us leaving her there. Jeff answered the door when she came back & offered to have the kids come over here this afternoon. So, Emma's going to have a weekend full of Morgan. It's nice that they get along so well, especially since they'll be seeing a lot of each other once I go into labor. Emma's going to be spending the night at Morgan's house once we go to the hospital. And she'll be going to Morgan's babysitter's if it happens during the work week. Speaking of which, Emma & I went over to meet her babysitter on Friday. Her name is Sue, too. We were there for about 2 hours, and Emma was really excited to see that Morgan was there. They played nicely together for the most part, except that Emma accidently hit Morgan in the face with some sort of toy. I know it wasn't on purpose, but I felt so bad for the kid. And I knew that probably wasn't the best impression to give to the lady who might be watching Emma all day in the very near future. But she didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal. She's very patient with the kids, but she doesn't take any crap, which is a good thing. Even while we were there (and probably BECAUSE Emma was there, and was causing a ruckus) the kids had to come into the living room & have some quiet time, where they just sat on the couch. Emma couldn't quite understand why she had to do it, too, but she didn't give much resistance.
When I had first told Emma yesterday morning that we were going over to Morgan's house, she thought that meant she was staying the night. We made an overnight bag for her, for when I go into labor. But she grabbed that & thought she was going to stay the night there. It was too cute. So at least I know there won't be any need to worry about separation anxiety with her when we leave her there for a day or so. And once I have the baby, she can come back home with Jeff.
So, now I'm a week away from my due date. It could happen at any time, Jeff's hoping that it'll happen soon (he really wants to have 2 weeks off of work) and now I have no idea when it's going to happen. It's kind of a dose of reality, after planning & waiting all this time and trying to get everything prepared, that you still have no control over when it finally happens. Unless you're having a scheduled C-section. It kinda makes you feel helpless knowing that you really can't do anything but sit & wait. But, since I probably should be doing more of that (the sitting, preferably with my feet up), I guess I can handle it.

No comments: