THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 29, 2008

We have too much crap

This is a revelation, I know. A house of 5 people, 3 of which are under 9, and we *gasp* have a lot of stuff. Most of the time, I am able to hide this fact by excellent use of drawers, closets, and strategically placed furniture. Every house has a junk drawer. We have a junk drawer, a junk desk, and a junk closet. And I would be perfectly content to leave things as they are, if it weren't for one thing: we're moving...in a month. Now, seeing as how I enjoy my sanity and it is slowly slipping away from me day by day, I choose NOT to have it completely swept away by trying to pack up 4 1/2 years worth of stuff in one weekend, ironically enough 2 days after I have my last of three finals. That might see me curled up in a fetal position, whispering,"Just burn it all, and collect the insurance."
So, I have been packing up things here & there, mostly in Emma's room, due to the fact that THAT room has the highest concentration of crap in the entire house. I swore to myself that I was going to get rid of at least 1/3 of the stuff that she has in her room. Garage sale, Salvation Army, trash can, I don't care how it leaves our house, it's going to be GONE. At first Emma was reluctant but I have pulled out the old stand-by,"If you get rid of stuff you don't NEED, you have more room for stuff you WANT." Yes, that works on 30 year olds as well as 8 year olds. And she earns an allowance now, so she can buy whatever she can afford. Which, on $3 a week, isn't much. Which is a good thing.
A couple weeks ago, I packed away 90% of her books, leaving out only a handful for her & the littler ones. I went through Sarah & Katie's closet last weekend, and combined with a little bit more in Emma's room today, and now I have a big pile of stuff for a garage sale. Along with 3 garbage bags full of trash.
Why not just hire a moving company to come do all this hard, back-breaking work for me, you ask? Because I'm cheap, people. We're not rich, by any stretch of the imagination, and moving costs moo-lah. Even when you're only moving 1/2 mile down the road. So, our plan is to pack all the little stuff up ourselves, and then get someone to either help us, or just have them move all the big stuff. We have a whole month, due to the end of our lease not being until May 31st, to be out of this place. So, we're supposed to close on the new house on May 1st, which will hopefully give up plenty of time to move in, get this place cleaned up & ready so we can be out by the 31st. Never mind that Jeff is leaving for a week in the middle of that. At least finals will be over, and the weather will be nice. So, anyone up for a road trip to help us move?? :D

2 comments:

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

I moved 2 years ago and and a year and a half before that several states away. I remember the pain of it all too well. Happy Moving! :)

Naomi said...

We moved from CA back to England about 18 months ago and I still have crap in boxes! That's after 2 garage sales, craigs list, salvation army and putting loads of stuff in the garbage! Good luck with the clear out.