THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 09, 2006

I'm not cranky, I'm teething

This is probably what Sarah would have told us this week, as she went 3 days in a row with little to no nap, and 3 nights in a row of not falling asleep until 10:30pm or later, and then being up, bright-eyed & bushy-tailed at 7am. This is what she would have told us, if she could articulate those words. But, instead, it came out, "I'm crying, and I don't know why, I won't sleep, I refuse to be still, and I'm generally not a happy camper. " And, she had every right to be cranky. This kid got 3 of her 4 two-year molars this week. Ouch. No wonder she's been a crab apple. But, she seems to be doing better this weekend, although she did go until about 11 pm last night before finally falling asleep (but I think part of that had to do with having a nasty diaper). Here we were, stars in our eyes, thinking that for her birthday (in a week and half), we'd make the big-girl jump to a toddler bed. I still want to try it, and see how it goes, but I'm thinking in the back of my mind that she's still going to be in her crib when the baby comes. I don't want to push her into something she's not ready for, but at the same time, I really don't want to buy a $200 crib so that each kid can have their own. The new baby will be in the bassinette for a few months, and that might buy us some time, but I worry that Sarah will regress a little bit and might fight us on the change. We shall see. I figured we could give it a try before the baby comes & if it works, great. If not, then at least it's there for when she IS ready. Emma didn't switch to a twin bed until she was over 3, but that's mostly because I was lazy & didn't push it. I KNOW Sarah's too small for the extra twin bed we have. But a toddler bed uses a crib mattress, and is only about 5-7 inches off the ground. So, in case (or WHEN) she falls out, it won't be a terrible fall. I can just imagine though, with this kid being a night owl lately & waking up at 7am on the dot every morning, that we will need to either keep her door closed, or put a baby gate up. Otherwise, she'll be in the kitchen, getting into the trash & the bathtub, all the while we're sleeping downstairs. Or, she'll go into Emma's room & wake her up. Well...considering that's what Emma does to US the on weekends, maybe it's not a terrible thing for her to experience it a bit, lol.

No comments: