THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, October 15, 2007

The Muppets Rock

My kids watch a fair amount of TV. Probably about the same as the average kid. I'm not bragging, I'm not always happy about how much TV my kids watch, but hey, I have to get housework done sometime, and my kids aren't really old enough to entertain themselves for longer than 10 minutes.

Anyhow, the girls watch a lot of Disney movies, and, back when we had cable, they watched other things like Sesame Street, Dora, Clifford, and the Doodlebops (not my personal fave, but I have a musical preschooler). Last Christmas, either Santa or us (can't remember which) got the girls the 1st season of "The Muppet Show". This is the OLD Muppet Show, from the late 70's/early 80's. They had people on there I'd never heard of (who the heck is Paul Williams?). But, the girls LOVED it. For Sarah, it took a little while to get used to the theme song. But, now she can't get enough. We bought the 2nd season over the weekend. By this morning, Emma was asking me why Elton John was dressed in feathers....I told her that conversation would have to wait until she got older.

But, they're getting exposed to a type of entertainment that really isn't around anymore. Kind of like the old Bugs Bunny shorts: animation/puppets (for the kids) but sometimes with themes & jokes that only adults could get. Everyone could watch it together and be equally entertained. Of course, watching it I sometimes wonder if skits like these are the reason our generation is like it is:



So, my kids are getting an education in what TV was like when Mom & Dad were younger. Emma even recognized one of the songs that Elton John sang...from "Chicken Little". It took a bit for her to realize that the song came BEFORE the movie.



I mean, where can you find a show like this nowadays??

No comments: