THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 23, 2005

Hello from CA!

It's been a tiring, rough week, to say the least. After getting the news last Saturday that my grandfather had passed away, I was scurrying around, trying to get plane tickets for the girls & I to fly out here. We had thought that the funeral might be on Friday or Saturday. Well, after I'd bought the tickets for Wednesday evening, I got a call from my mom that said the Memorial Service was Wednesday morning and the funeral was Thursday afternoon. So, that meant I had to push up my flight a day, which also meant I'd have one less day to get ready. So, the race was on. I seriously didn't think I'd leave on time, but we did. And the house wasn't even a total disaster area.
So, the girls and I got into Sac at about 11pm on Tuesday. My friend Deanna picked us up from the airport and took us to my mom's. Well, after sleeping on the 2nd flight from Minneapolis, MN, both the girls were wide awake when we got there. Needless to say, we didn't get to sleep until about 2am.
The memorial service was in Modesto the next morning at 11am. It was my opportunity to say goodbye to my grandpa face-to-face. They didn't have an open casket, but it was open before the service began. I left the girls with my mom so I could be alone. It was really hard and that's when it hit me. I was sad, but happy that he wasn't suffering anymore.
The service itself was nice. It was at his church and they played a few hymns, including his favorite "How Great Thou Art". The last song they played was "Daddy's Hands". I knew my mom had picked that one out. After the service and a small reception, most of the fmaily went over to my Grannie's house. That's my grandpa's mother. Yes, she's still alive. She's 92.
The next day we had a graveside service in Sacramento. Grandpa's buried next to my uncle Rick, who died when I was 1 1/2 and who is buried next to my grandma, who died when I was 3. I'd never been there before, so I'm glad I now know where everyone is. We all went over my to Uncle David & Aunt Kelly's house afterwards. Then my cousin Michael had a baseball game to go to, so a few of us went to cheer him on. He hit a homerun before my mom & the girls and I got there. It was too bad we missed it.
The girls & I went to stay with my in-laws yesterday. They went in the spa & loved it. Sarah was out like a light by 8pm. Emma went with Melissa & I to the mall. I bought a purse. I've been needing one for awhile. Melissa bought Emma a couple toys from the Disney Store. This kid (along with her mother) are in serious mall withdrawl. I hate having to drive 45 minutes to go to a decent store.

No comments: