THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 26, 2004

Long time, no see

I'm finding since Sarah came into our family that I don't have enough time to do anything, it seems. At least not anything productive. If I could get paid for it, I'd much rather prefer just to sit in my glider rocker, holding Sarah & reading to Emma. That would be my idea of bliss. But, unfortunately, the house doesn't clean itself (although I think in the 50's we were assured by this time of modern technology that it would, liars) and everyone still needs to be fed. At least with Sarah, feedings are easy. Lift up shirt, insert baby mouth slot A to boob tab B, and commence feeding. It's nice that she doesn't even dirty a dish in the process. The same can't be said for the rest of us.
I feel bad for Emma. Jeff got this vacation planning kit in the mail from Disney World (we're thinking about taking a cruise when he graduates from college...in 5 years). She still doesn't understand the concept of future time. We told her that we were going to go on this cruise with "Cinderella" & "Mickey Mouse" and she was all ready to pack her bags. We tried to explain to her that we needed to wait until Sarah was bigger & could walk, so now she's telling Sarah that she needs to get up & walk so they can go see Cinderella.
It's been forever since I wrote in this thing, and it's not for lack of trying. It seemed every time I'd sit down to write, I'd get interrupted by one of my two children. So, I guess I should go through the events of the past couple of weeks. I hope everyone had a nice Mother's Day. Mine was great. Sarah's umbilical cord fell off that day. At first I thought I'd lost it, because I couldn't find it. I was changing her diaper & realized that it had fallen off & was searching around in her bassinette & her onsie to try & find it. I did finally find it though, it was floating around in her clothes, the same way Emma's had. Emma's fell off on Jeff's birthday, so that was pretty interesting.
The next day Sarah had her first bath in her baby tub. It has a sling that is stretched across the tub, so she doesn't lay down directly in it yet. The sling is helpful since she can't hold up her head yet. And she seemed to enjoy herself. Even when we washed her hair. Emma was a big help. She poured the water over Sarah & helped me wash her up with a washcloth.
Sarah is staying awake more often during the day, which is helping her sleep better at night. She's still waking up 1-2 times a night, but she goes right back to sleep most of the time. There are even nights when she goes 6 hours without waking up. I'd consider THAT sleeping through the night. She seems to be taking in more when she's awake, and gives me these looks like "what is going on here?" Especially when Emma's throwing a fit or things are a bit chaotic.
Emma is still doing great with Sarah. She's very helpful & very loving. Since we've kinda gotten into a routine with Sarah and things aren't as hectic, I think she's beginning to feel less stress about getting attention. She knows that we're going to take time to play with her, so she's not demanding it all the time. But she still does have her moments. Lately it's been having drop down, drag-out tantrums when we tell her to do something and she doesn't want to. The other day, we were at her speech therapy evaluation (she's going to start that again in the fall) and we needed to get going. She had been playing with some toys & I asked her to help us put them away. You would have thought I'd cut the poor kids arm off with the reaction that I got. Her face crumpled into sobs & she dropped to the floor like a leaf, and just lay there, crying. I would have laughed if I hadn't been mortified. I don't think it helps that since Sarah was born, we've been giving in to her wants more frequently. We're going to have to put a stop to that pretty quickly, otherwise Emma might get the idea that SHE'S running the show here.
In other news, we found out last week that our landlord finally sold the house, so we have 60 days to get out. At first we were thinking about renting again, but decided against it. Since we know we're going to be here at least another 4-5 years (for Jeff to get his degree) we decided to buy a house instead. We know it's risky, what with the slow housing market. But I'm hoping that in a few years it'll be better & also we're looking at a house that has great re-sale potential. It's a cute little house that's already had some upgrades, so all we'd need to do is keep it in good shape and maybe put a little money into it. And it's not a bad price either.
I had the oddest experience yesterday. I was in the living room, walking around and I went toward the garage door to hang something up. I felt a sharp pain on my neck & I freaked out & started swatting at my neck. I felt something there and I hit it to the ground. At first, I was afraid it was a spider, but I looked on the carpet & it was a bee. I got stung by a bee on my neck, IN THE HOUSE. It hurt like crazy & I ended up putting a cold compress on it for an hour. Even today I still have a welt on my neck and it itches. It was too weird. I was just thankful that it hadn't stung one of the kids, and Sarah was only about 4 feet away from me at the time.
Well I think I've written a novel here, so I should end this. Hopefully it won't be another 3 weeks before I post again.

No comments: