THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, November 16, 2008

This pretty much sums it up

I haven't written much since the Election. I didn't want to gloat, but let's just suffice it to say that I was happy with the way the election turned out.

I was NOT happy with what happened in my home state of California and the passing of Prop 8. I was talking to someone I work with and I equated the ban of gay marriage with black people not being able to marry white people 45 years ago. It's the same thing: black people weren't equal, so therefore they weren't allowed to have equal rights. Gay people are not seen as equal. This is appalling. What's the "straight" divorce rate nowadays? Over 50%. When was the last time you heard about a gay couple who beat their kids? I know many gay people who have adopted children or who've had surrogates. Since having those kids doesn't come in the "natural" way that it does for straight people, you can bet that those families actually WANTED those kids, and fought to get them.

This article in Newsweek pretty much sums it up.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/169157


It's appalling that people hide behind the religious aspect of it. Whatever happened to "love the sinner, hate the sin"? I don't personally believe that being gay is a sin, but you know what I mean.

I actually heard someone on TV say that they believe that only marriage between a man & a woman before the eyes of God was an actual marriage. Well, I guess that means Jeff & I aren't really married. We were married by a city official, in my mom's backyard. Not in a church, not by a clergy. It's not like gay people want to be married by the Pope, in the Vatican. They want the things that all (straight) married people get: health coverage, life insurance, THE RIGHT TO SEE THEIR LOVED ONE IN THE HOSPITAL.

Times change, the biases and prejudices of old need to be gone. The world has bigger things going wrong with it than gay people wanting to be married.

No comments: