THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 03, 2008

Rock the vote

Tomorrow is a huge day for our country. We, the people, of the United States of America, have the awesome job of picking the leaders of our country.

This in and of itself is awesome: the fact we get to CHOOSE. Let alone who we vote for, the fact that we are able to voice our opinions in a democratic process.

There are countries in the world where the only form of voice its citizens have are protests, or they are forced to suffer in silence, for fear of retribution.

In countries where democracy is a new concept, there are people who travel from hundreds of miles away, standing in lines for hours, just to be a part of the democratic process. To know that your voice is heard, regardless of the outcome. Because before, you didn't have a voice.

I think, as a country, we have become lax, frustrated and downright ambivalent about voting. I hear so many excuses: I live in a Republican/Democratic state so my vote is useless; I have to work; I have school; I don't like waiting in line; it's too far; I don't like any of the candidates; I forgot; I don't have time.

If your voting place is any closer than the next county, if you have shoes to wear to vote in, if you're not having to vote by scratching an X on a piece of scrap paper and putting it into a shoebox, then you have it better than a lot of people in the world.

Ditch the excuses. Go out tomorrow, in rain, snow or blazing sun, and perform your civic duty. Or quit bitching.

Consider yourself motivated.

2 comments:

Carey said...

Oh, you're going to be so disappointed in me, I'm afraid I can't rock the vote tomorrow. Maybe you shouldn't read my blog today. Good post though, I'm glad you feel passionate about it, I wish I did.

Amanda said...

Ironically enough I read your blog entry while in line to vote. iPhones for the win. I wish there was something I could say to change your mind. The topic you discussed is a hard one, and personally I don't believe he is against banning that particular procedure. Like a lot of bills out there, they have things attached to them that have nothing to do with the original bill. Like the bailout bill that just passed that had money set aside for wooden arrows in Oregon. WTF? Anyhow, like I said, I wish I could change your mind. Not all of us agrees with everything each politician does. They're human just like us. But, I believe that Obama will do what's best for the WHOLE country, not just the people who can buy out his loyalty.